Sunday, February 5, 2012

Beginning the vignettes' research

Most of the older artifacts in the National Hellenic Museum’s permanent and temporary collection date to the late 1800’s. It also has a few pieces of antiquity (amphorae, jugs and coins), which are either owned or on loan. One of the prevailing requests made by visitors was for the museum to display these antiquities more often. The NHM has listened, and in a few months the museum will put more ancient pieces on exhibition.

This week I completed the first stage of my project- a review on all the antiquities the museum currently has. I created an excel document listing all the ancient pieces. Included was the accession or loan number of each artifact, the provenance source from where the museum acquired the pieces and the storage locations where the pieces are kept. For the second stage of the project, I need to create individual vignettes for a few Cypro-Archaic I pottery. There are a few amphorae and oinochoe I have started researching. According to PastPerfect (the museum archival database), the Cyprus pottery dates to the Cypro-Archaic I period, 700-650 B.C., but I am unsure of the artistic stylization of a couple pieces. Hopefully with more research I will either be satisfied with the information the museum currently has or will need to make a few small corrections.

Thanks for following! Stay tuned for next week’s blog

Kind Regards,
Erik

1 comment:

  1. Did any of the items in the collection resemble the objects that were recovered in the excavation of the Athenian Agora last summer? It's always great when you realize the expertise you are building about a certain subject matter!

    ReplyDelete