Sunday, March 18, 2012

How Many Ceramics Can Fit in a Display Case?

       This week I finally had the opportunity to examine the four pottery pieces. I had to measure the base, width and diameter for each to determine which display cases will be suitable. The Collections Manager, Chris Helms, had to open the shipping carton and hold the antiquities since museum policy prohibits volunteers and interns to handle ancient pottery. Chris admitted that it was his first time viewing the pieces as well. Each is in great condition; from what I can tell they were preserved very well since I did not see signs of extensive repairs. The majority of the pottery was smaller than I thought save for one amphora. Unfortunately I do not know the measurements off the top of my head, but most are no higher than 12”. The large amphora is about 24” in height.

       In addition to measuring the dimensions of the pottery, I also had to find out the measurements of the display cases. The few cases the museum has in storage are perfect in size, but not in condition. Bethany said I can either sand them and paint them black or she would be willing to buy a large one, approx. 38 x 44 x 22”. I suppose it depends how many cases I want to use. Two of the pieces are White Painted ware (the large amphora and the oinochoe) and the other two are Bichrome Ware (the smaller amphora and a jug). I think it would be nice to display the pottery by the typology of wares, thus the large amphora and oinchoe in case and the other amphora and jug in another. There is one display case that is in good condition and I think it would be great for the Bichrome Wares. All the cases are blue, so if I want to use anyone of them I need to sand them and paint them black. There is case that appears to be large enough for both White Painted Wares but I am not sure about the vitrine’s height. I am also undecided if I want to display the White Painted IV Ware amphora by itself. One of the display cases would be perfect for it. That means Bethany would have to purchase a case for the oinchoe. There are two large cases (32 W x 36 D) that would fit all four pieces; both, however, have a few deep notches. If I decide to use one case for all the pottery I would have to figure out what to do with the nicks and gashes. I still am searching around for affordable display cases. Gaylord.com seems to offer a good variety and prices. Below are a couple cases with vitrines I think would be fine.

Erik


No comments:

Post a Comment